Sins of the Tongue
I just thought I’d share something I learnt awhile back.
The spoken word is very important – especially to God. He created with spoken words – He IS the word. (John 1:1)
He hears every word we say: every good, every grumbling. Every idle word that we speak will be accounted for (Matt 12:36).
Types of sinful tongues:
- Swift tongue – Proverbs 18:13
- Backbiting tongue – Proverbs 25:23, Romans 1:30
- Tale-bearing tongue - Proverbs 18:8, Leviticus 19:17
- Cursing tongue – Romans 3:13-14
- Piercing tongue – Proverbs 12:18
- Silent tongue – Acts 1:8, Luke 4:18-22
- Lying tongue – Proverbs 25:18
- Flattering tongue – Psalm 5:9
- Proud tongue – Psalm 12:3-4
- Overused tongue – Ecclesiastes 5:2-3
“Keep your mouth, keep your life”, our tongues can lead to our demise if we’re not careful.
- Critical tongue – it tears down reputations, especially of our leaders. Even more when we’re critical around unbelievers (Numbers 12:1-2).
- Gossiping – slanders, destroys a person’s character (Psalm 101:5, Proverbs 16:27, Leviticus 19:1, Proverbs 11:13, Proverbs 26:20)
- Complaining – displeases the Lord, He hates ingratitude! (Numbers 11:1, Psalm 78:19)
“Death and life is in the power of the tongue” Proverbs 18:21
How to deal with sins of the tongue:
- Use the tongue to pray – Ephesians 6:18
- Be quick to listen, slow to speak - Proverbs 29:20
- Refuse to tear others down – James 4:11
- Speak the truth in LOVE – Ephesians 4:15, 1 Corinthians 13:1
- Surrender your tongue to God – James 3:8
Before I speak:
- Is it true?
- Is it kind?
- Is it necessary?
- Do I have permission to share it?
- Is my motive pure?
I hope this has been beneficial to you all. God bless.